Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

Been following a few threads on here as we've recently ordered a 1.6 DigT with premium pack in solid white and can't wait for the car to arrive (we ordered last Thursday and were advised of a delivery date of late November but having read a few posts I think this may be the dealer not wanting to hit us with a 2011 delivery date just yet!).

Thanks to all for some really useful postings around GAP insurance and Supaguard etc. as apart from the odd company car this will be the first new car we've had in ages so all the advice is very welcome.

I wondered what other users' views were on the use of automatic car washes on new cars - do modern car washes still scratch paintwork etc. and am I better advised to take my Juke to a hand carwash??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
HI AND WELCOME yes the wait is a real issue some garages are being a little economical with the truth but you may get lucky. I would always reccommend a hand car wash over a machine for any vehicle

·
Registered
46 Posts
I woundn't even recommend a 'paid' hand car wash, they use the same dirty old sponges & cloths.
TookMy QQ as a last result & got some really fine scratches on the front screen, the sun would pick them up & it was really annoying!
Do it yourself if possible mate!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Deks and Mightygoo - suspected that I might need to reaquaint myself with some good ol' fashioned elbow grease but good to get others thoughts.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
The problem I find with automatic car-washes is that the bristles on the washing brush are made of some pretty harsh plastic, spinning at some ungodly rpm against your car.

As mightygoo said paid-hand-washes are better, but still not as good as doing it yourself. My wife will shortly be re-acquainting herself with the sponge. Even when washing it yourself by hand I'd two spongs, one for the lower half of the car and one for the upper half.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'd recommend a hand-wash every time. At the minute I have a black Micra and for ages, visible dry-spots were a huge problem.
Here's how I've managed to get it better than showroom-sparkling: use Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner to wash it, then give it a good hose down and apply Turtle Wax 'Wax It Wet' while it's still soaked. Dry it off with a good quality chamois and then admire. On top of that, I apply Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine wax polish about four times a year.
Shiny shiny shiny!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Would never use a car wash wouldn't trust them! We spent a couple of hours cleaning ours on Saturday and used my lovely Autoglym HD wax thanks guys for recommending it it's the best! In work today then have got the rest of the week off so fingers crossed if it stops raining at some point we might be able to get some more pics taken!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Glad you love the HD wax alicat - it makes any car look amazing. When you wax again, try the autoglym HD cleanser before you wax. It'll take all of the cr#p off before you apply the wax and make your car look amazing again

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I'd never use an automatic car wash - My hubby took out blue Qashqai through during the winter and the tiny shards of ice that formed on the bristles ripped the paintwork to shreds!!!!

Hand wash every time and meguiars polish is fab!!!

Fee x

·
Registered
452 Posts
Fee, amen to Meguiars cleaning products!!
In my humble opinion they may be a bit pricey but the best stuff I have used in years!!
P.S. Plus I always wash in a straight line, never in circles. Difficult but it pays off!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
OK, what is best/favourite car shampoo, wax, black trim polish interior cleaner and tyre shine products people use? think over the years I have used most but never found the Holy Grail.

·
Registered
329 Posts
OMG,

NEVER use auto car washes, jet washes with brush attachments or even handwashes at the side of the road!

Think of how many MINGING cars have been through them before you......all that grit, grime and salt which hasnt rinsed off the brushes and is now happily scratching your nice new baby.....

Wash her at home and use the 2 bucket method -A bucket of clear water for rinsing the sponge before you put it into the soapy bucket and then onto your car. after wiping the car, back into the clear water to rinse, then in to the soapy water and back onto the car, etc, etc. This method really helps to stop swirl marks, as any grit on your sponge is rinsed off into the clear water bucket before you soap up and go again!!

Hope this makes sense? Believe me, it makes a massive difference over the course of a dozen or so washes...

andyEdited by: andytran

·
Registered
46 Posts
Turtle wax 'ice shine' is great.
You can use it on all surfaces including the black plastic, which comes up a treat!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Only keep our cars for approx two years but still take care of it and wash it once a week weather permitting!! Autoglym High Def wax, and shampoo, Armour All tyre foam and Back to Black for the black trim.
Get a water butt and use the rain water for washing too if you can.

·
Registered
164 Posts
simps said:
dozen washes??????

I'm only keeping it 2 years!!

My current car has recently had its second wash this year. I'd forgotten how nice a colour it is when it is clean

·
Registered
87 Posts
I currently get a wash & valet from Lellars every couple of months. Silver does hide the dirt well though! Hope Force Red does too!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts