Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Jukers,

Took a test drive today, and I fully agree with you about the low quality of the Connect system (satnav from Tekna pack, with 6 speakers). Lowering the bass and using a good source makes it slightly better, but still very far from being perfect

Replacing a head unit sounds like a pain, due to compatibility problems in integration with steering wheel controls, rear camera and USB/iPod connectors (and please correct me if I'm wrong here!).
The question is whether it might significantly improve by installing a decent system around - amplifier, speakers, optionally sub(-s)? Or the problem is mostly based on the output quality of the head-unit itself (lousy DAC, low pre-outs etc)?

Thank you very much in advance!

Edited by: vadim

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had mine upgraded, wasn't cheap though, cost me £1400 all together ( already had a powered subwoofer or it would have been £1700)Just upgraded the fronts, as told it wasn't worth bothering with the rears.Got a pair of Focal 30th Anniversary 2 way components (£250) and a JL Audio Class D 2 channel amplifier (£240) and a Audison Bit Ten DSP unit (£300), also had the doors dynomatted (£150) and all the cables replaced (£120) and a separate subwoofer volume control fitted (£50) + Labour @ £300.Lot of money to pay, but well pleased with outcome. The Bit Ten is an awesome piece of kit:-http://www.raysmith.co.uk/audison-bit-ten-signal-interface-processor-free-delivery.html

Edited by: Juke_Junky

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Wow, you were taken for a ride there my friend.
120 for cables?
You could have spent half of that for the same outcome me thinks.
But each to his own. Glad you enjoy it :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Juke_Junky!
Quite similar to what I though to do - disconnect the rears, and replace the front one with good components. This Bit10 looks nice, however I personally incline to invest a bit more in a good amplifier with X-over between components and a sub, should suffice.
Also, where did you mount the amp and the sub?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Amp is in the boot, fits in the little recess near the rear passenger wheel under the floor (amp is tiny):-http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/14047/referer/rc_googleproduct.html
Sub is one of these :- http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/31/referer/rc_googleproduct.htmlwhich is strapped to the floor behind rear seat
It's definitely worth investing in the bit ten as the head unit has no phono outsYou need something to bring the speaker levels down to line level
The amp I bought will accept speaker levels but the bit ten removed the OEM equalisation before changing to line level
It's up to you which way way you go about things, but the company who did mine know what they are talking about (http://www.dalcocaraudio.co.uk/Dalco_Car_Audio_Centre/Home.html). I had the BitTen added after the rest was done because I still wasn't happy with the sound.
The bit ten will take 2 or 4 channels in and you can have up 5 outs with full crossover controlI am only using the 2 front inputs, which is then converted to the 2 fronts out + sub out) but you could use the front and rears to run the components individually if you wanted. Read up on the BitTen before you dismiss it PDF here:- http://www.raysmith.co.uk/media/catalog/category/bitTen_2011.pdf

·
Registered
17 Posts
meaga-byte said:
Wow, you were taken for a ride there my friend.

120 for cables?

You could have spent half of that for the same outcome me thinks.

But each to his own. Glad you enjoy it :D
I could have spent a lot less than that (I work for an electrical retailer), however, unless they supply the parts you have to pay another ten pounds an hour labour on top of the normal rate.
Speaker cable is high quality twisted pair (£3 per metre), Power cables were £20 and the phono leads were £60.
I did resent paying those prices, but I just wanted it sorted ASAP as the sound was quite frankly terrible.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree the cound is rubbish in the Juke - got a Micra courtesy car at the moment and I'm sure it's better quality!

I turned the bass down on the system and added a small under-seat sub instead, makes it much better but still plan to do a speaker upgrade when I can be bothered with all the work!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Juke_Junky said:
... I had the BitTen added after the rest was done because I still wasn't happy with the sound ...

I guess this is the answer to my original question, isn't it

Here in Estonia, Nissan Connect costs additional 510 Euro. Extending it with such DSP is 300 quid on top.
This is a price level of high quality aftermarket solutions, as as Pioneer AVIC-F930BT or similar...
I guess mounting a reversing camera and connection to the USB/iPod plug should not be a problem, so in the worst case the steering wheel controls won't work.

Does it all make sense to you, guys? What would you recommend?

·
Registered
998 Posts
beltanedeath said:
to be honest, i'm more than happy with the sound on my tenka, wonder if they've made some upgrades?

Sean
So am I, Very satisfied with the sound eminating from the speakers. T

·
Registered
377 Posts
trachycarpus said:
beltanedeath said:
to be honest, i'm more than happy with the sound on my tenka, wonder if they've made some upgrades?

Sean
So am I, Very satisfied with the sound eminating from the speakers. T
I must admit im happy with mine too. Im fussy about my music, I try all the stereos out when buying & if the bass is bad it grates my ears. Im no expert, all the technical bits you mentioned above went straight over my head, but know what I like. So far mine is brill & was better than the Micra I had too. Maybe they have tweaked it a little in the past few Months

·
Registered
998 Posts
beltanedeath said:
thank god for that! i thought i was going to get flamed to death my audiophiles!!!

Sean
Hi Sean, everybody has their own requirements, what pleases us may not please others, maybe if I cranked it up to maximum then maybe the system would grate on me but I worked in a highnoise industry and luckily kept my hearing in tact. So for me a comfortable level set on the volume is adequate for my needs. I am glad that I find it Ok as it saves me money but I have not tried Beethoven's Piano concertos Yet. T

·
Registered
17 Posts
They haven't tweaked them at all, received my juke on 12th April. If you were to have a look at the original speakers it's surprising they actually sounds as good as they does. The speakers are made of plastic and the cones are paper.Couldn't believe how bad they actually were.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Juke_Junky

That install sounds awesome, I am also unhappy with the sound from the Tekna connect I don't think I'll go to the same lengths as you but once you crank any volume into it it just loses it. My Old BMW had much better sound when I put in a decent Head unit and swapping out the connect is going to be a right pain, the Bit 10 or a good DSP would go some way to sorting that.
For those that think the connect system sounds good I can only presume you have excellent source material and you have not heard a great system.
Go to a Lexus dealer and see if they have a GS in with the Mark Levinson sound system in, (they love showing it off) and then you will realise how much better it can be.
Actually don't as if you do you wont like your connect!
Edited by: Benzyl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts