Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 7 day free insurance from Aviva is all well and good but the excess is £400 and there is no NCD protection.
Is there any harm in also arranging your own insurance? I've taken the freebie because that meant the dealer could tax it swiftly as they email the policy over.
Does it matter if I change my own insurance over, so have two policies running at the same time?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was told that you can't legally have two lots of insurance running at the same time. I took the freebie so that I could be sure the dealer had the insurance certificate to tax the car but if you can organise things with your own insurance in time, then that's a better way of doing it.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
legally you cant have 2 insurances, as for protected NCD you wont be claiming on your Insurance you currently have would you. Personally I would call my own insurance company and ask their advice, telling them you want it on proper cover as per your terms. also you can cancel the free policy if you are worried about dual insurance, the only benefit to 7 day free insurance is the tax aspect and some people may actually gain a better quote,though I doubt it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
We did take the 7 day free one purely because our insurance couldn't guarantee getting the paperwork to us in time for the road tax but went back to our main insurance straight after that.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your thoughts.
I thought it would be illegal to take the free 7 days to get the tax sorted and then cancel it in favour of my current policy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's just an easy option for the tax disc ,easier for the dealer etc...waiting for your own insurance certificate takes ages nowadays !!

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's what I did with my current car andx what I will be doing as soon as I know something regarding trhe Juke, just so that it can be registered
ASAP

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
have to say didnt take the free insurance, I rang my provider got cover swapped over and had them email cover note direct to dealer, they did charger me for the privilage though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Used the free cover on my last 4 cars. Makes the it easy for the dealer to transfer my number plates, saves me £25 with not having to put plate on retention and it’s run out by the time I get the new car. Then all I have to do is change details on insurance for hand over.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Strof said:
Used the free cover on my last 4 cars. Makes the it easy for the dealer to transfer my number plates, saves me £25 with not having to put plate on retention and it’s run out by the time I get the new car. Then all I have to do is change details on insurance for hand over. </font>
I paid the £25 and put the plates on retention. The dealer said it would make the transfer much quicker.
Plates been on retention for less than a week!

·
Registered
115 Posts
silverjuke said:
Strof said:
Used the free cover on my last 4 cars. Makes the it easy for the dealer to transfer my number plates, saves me £25 with not having to put plate on retention and it’s run out by the time I get the new car. Then all I have to do is change details on insurance for hand over.

I paid the £25 and put the plates on retention. The dealer said it would make the transfer much quicker.
Plates been on retention for less than a week!
Yes it’s quicker for them because we do all the work then they just tax the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts