Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i said i would i made a round trip to and from work, a round trip of 68 mile, set cruise control at 60 mph again, this time achieved 52.5 mpg compared to 64 mpg on friday. From now on i'm just gonna see how many miles i get from a full tank, not gonna rely on mpg readings.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I think thats the best thing to do. Many of us have been doing that since day one and although the figures vary - it'll give you an average....

I have switched off my engine , restarted gone on to the motorway, done a drive, come off the motorway switched off and restartedand it has shown average 48MPG on the start at reset graph,but thats not a true reflection of the combined mileages which are very low indeed.

Please let us know how you get on.

Fee

·
Registered
65 Posts
I believe that for best fuel economy it is better NOT to use the cruise control. The cruise control obviously keeps you at constant speed whether up hill or down dale. For example, when going downhill, take your foot of the accelerator and coast in gear. If you are showing the MPG on the computer at will show some mad figure like 99mpg because it does not use any fuel whereas the CC will.

Up hill, use as little power as possible to get up the hill and never, ever brake.

For the best ever economy run, watch Jeremy Clarkson drive an Audi A8 4.2 litre V8 diesel from London to Edinburgh and back on one tank.

Sadly, economy driving is, for the most part, very boring, although being a very sad bloke I do try it from time to time. Haven't tried it in the Juke yet, only in my 3 litre automatic diesel BMW and have managed to get about 48mpg from home in North London to Worcestershire. Mind you, I leave everything on including the Climate Control and Ipod player and use the daylight running lights.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No Fee, horses, 231 of them. I would love to drop the engine from a 123d BMW into a Juke 4WD, twin turbo diesel and 3 billion horsepower, well slight exageration. But I bet it would give better fuel economy than the DCi.

No dig intended, I am well aware of the issues on the DCi. I just wish manufacturers would share things and be prepared to buy the best from other manufacturers.

So how about a GTR engine and running gear in a Morgan?

·
Registered
329 Posts
The biggest problem with diesel is if you are doing a lot of short journeys, they are LESS economical than the petrol equivalent whilst cold.
Diesels take sooo long to warm up and areVERY inefficient when cold.
Petrol carswarm up more than twice as fast and are much more efficient earlier in the heat cycle.

Ive switched to petrol purely because the car does a lot of journeys of around a mile, from cold. Not worth buying a diesel in my circumstances!

AndyEdited by: andytran

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
andytran said:
The biggest problem with diesel is if you are doing a lot of short journeys, they are LESS economical than the petrol equivalent whilst cold.
Diesels take sooo long to warm up and areVERY inefficient when cold.
Petrol carswarm up more than twice as fast and are much more efficient earlier in the heat cycle.

Ive switched to petrol purely because the car does a lot of journeys of around a mile, from cold. Not worth buying a diesel in my circumstances!

Andy
hmm beginning to think this is my problem if no fault can be found tomorrow with mine i think i might have to do the sums and swap it for a petrol, figured the diesel was going to be better all round over its life etc but if how we use it is going to be costly will have to look at petrol.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Andy

that being the case - why is it then that my previous diesel Qashqai was doing EXACTLY the same type of journeys daily and was returning 45 - 47 MPG...

I have done nearly 3K since November and considering I hardly used the car during the month of December with the severe weather- i would consider that to be reasonably high mileage.

I know the weather up here recently has been terribly cold but what about diesel cars in the likes of Norway and Sweden -

I do use my car on the motorway twice a day ( to ensure the DPF doesnt clog) but this doesnt seem to have improved my MPG - Granted i live in a city (suburbs) and use the car in the town daily but that being the case - if my journeys are most urban , the car is therefore not suitable for town driving and I should have been warned of this at point of sale.

There was no mention of this in the literature I was provided with.

What do you think??

Fee x

·
Registered
65 Posts
In Scandanavia they probably use pre startup heaters to warm the engine and the diesel. I am sure you know that at low temperatures, diesel becomes much thicker making it harder to start the vehicle and to run it.

Also other posters are right, diesel is not good for numerous short journeys. I never use mine for anything less than ten miles, so it gets properly warm.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
ALL off these factors may well be right but can you then explain why my other diesel car does a similar daily routine and returns close to 58 mpg as it should (206 1.4hdi) in fact does 3 times a s many short journeys per days as the juke and visits the fuel pump half as much as the Juke

1 - 14 of 14 Posts