Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my 4WD Teckna juke 10 days ago and I'm averaging under 29 miles per gallon. I have 700 miles on the clock, admittedly I have been driving half the timewith the 4WD Vectoring switch on, due to the poor weather in North Yorkshire, however Ihave always kept the car in ECO mode. Is it normal for a new car to give such poor fuel economy and can I look forward to the situation improving?Apart from the fuel economy, I have been very impressed with the way the car has handled the snowy hills in my area.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The 4WD being on will reduce the economy,maybe 1-2mpg at a guess. and the engines do get better after the first 1000-1500miles, just keep an eye on it. They recon after the initial 1000miles or so the fuel ecomomy increases by around 3%. So you should get another 3mpg out of it. Mines averaging 25 round town, but thats very stop start driving, mainly when the engines not even hot. Done around 750miles myself.

Nissan quote 37 as a combined IIRC, iv found most (All makes) cars do around 5mpg lower than the official figure, so once yours is run it you should get around 32 combined.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the explanation, I think once winter is over and if I use cruise control during my regular 35 mile commute (over fast flowing dual carrriageway), may be it will be possible to get close to mid thirties mpg.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No problem.

Also not that it makes much of a difference at all, turbo cars will use a bit more fuel on boost in cold weather due to the air being colder. When the air is colder it is denser, so the cars suck in heavier (More) air, in turn they use more fuel to maintain the mixture, but on the plus side you do get a bit more power :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apology accepted, there are many reason why people purchase 4WD, some are good and some do not make a lot sense, but believe me rural North Yorkshire does throw up some treacherous driving situations and until a practical ,viable alternative is on offer I'll be sticking with them. I'm glad you're pleased with your JUKE too. Congratualtions to Nissan for making us both happy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has held up very well in the snow indeed. Is Kirkham the same place as Kirkham Priory? If it is we live very close, and I will make a point to look out for your clean JUKE on the road to Malton, let's face it there aren't many JUKE'saround here at the moment.MyJUKE is red but absolutely filfthy already,i often ask myself why I bother to clean my car in the winter because onceI've driven it half mile its already caked in dirt.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We're getting about 28 mpg, again driven in 4WD-V or 4WD, we can't see much difference between normal and eco drive settings. We have been keeping it in Normal as the throttle response makes it a little easier tocontrol in this weather! Other then that, and as I have said in previous posts, our Nissan Note dCi is averaging 63 mpg, so when averaged out the dual fuel consumption isn't too bad. The 4WD keeps us safe, and I don't worry as much about my wife driving 40 miles a day through rural Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire. Looking forward to the goodweather and the fuel consumption benefits of 2wd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought I'd update you on the fuel economy progress of the 4WD model. I had the 30 day Nissan check up today and reset the computer. On my 35 mile commute home I averaged 36.4mpg driving at normal speeds in ecodrive mode. I'm quite pleased about that after what seemed a thirsty start.
The car has now completed more than 1,500 miles, has coped admirably well with the snow and I'm very pleased with it.
For the benefit of other readers here is a short list of a few minor discoveries;
  1. If you have the 4WD version, you may like me, get the next service interval message as 18,000 miles, my service computer was not set correctly and Nissan have confirmed the service interval is 12,500 miles.
  2. I was getting annoyed with my electric windows because I had to keep my finger continuously on the button for the window to close. The man at the garage managed to reset this to one touch, I don't know how but I'm pleased he did.
  3. When I ordered the car I asked if it had DAB radio. I was told yes. Shortly afer taking delivery I could not tune in BBC radio 6 or radio 7. I questioned whether the radio was really DAB and the salesman insisted it was. The fact is there isn't a single Nissan model that has DAB radio. Moral is you can't have everything in life.
  4. Having ordered a Teckna model I assumed it would come with floor mats since this is a low end extra considering Tekna has satnav/leather etc. Tekna models do not come with floor mats so I recommend you order them when you close your deal. Mine are now on back order.
Best wishes from Lolatut, and force red does look best with the red interior.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
whats with the 30 day check I know nothing of this could possible do with it as mine is only doing 32 mpg whcih wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a diesel

·
Registered
105 Posts
lolatut said:
Thank you for the explanation, I think once winter is over and if I use cruise control during my regular 35 mile commute (over fast flowing dual carrriageway), may be it will be possible to get close to mid thirties mpg.

You may find that using cruise actually makes the economy worse. I know it seems illogical, but when you think about it, the car's software is constantly accelerating and deccelerating to maintain a contant speed, and this uses more fuel than letting the car slow down a bit on the uphills and speeding up going down. My Merc actually applies the brakes to stop speeding going down hills, so it is more obvious it will use more fuel, but not all cruise systems apply the brakes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 30 day check is something the dealer offered - Evans Halshaw of Leeds. It may not be a service every dealer offers, but basically they said bring the car in after 30 days or a thousand miles and they would check it over.As for fuel economy on your car, I can only guess you need the engine to run in a bit and reset the computer, before I reset I was at 29.9mpg. It would be very strange for a diesel to fair worse than a petrol turbo auto 4WD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You may be right, especially the downhill scenario, but I find cruise control helps my economy because it restrains me from unnecessary overtaking on the motorway, by dropping my speed by a few mph for a short while it helps to reset my position in the traffic flow and it then it may take quite a while before I catch up again. The alternative is to speed up and overtake only to find yourself obliged to drive faster by the general flow of other traffic. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
484 Posts
deks36 said:
whats with the 30 day check I know nothing of this could possible do with it as mine is only doing 32 mpg whcih wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a diesel

Your poor MPG would have nothing to do with the 'Air Brake' (spoiler) would it?

Joking aside... mydiesel will only do mid 30's if used on urban runs but will easily achieve high 50's on the motorway.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
no it was doing less until i fitted the ultra sleek rear spoiler

but thanks for info on urban mine has only really done urban for all 800 miles which is one reason why I am not overly alarmed and really short 2 mile journeys a that aswell
which reminds me better blast it down the motorway for a clear out this weekend

1 - 14 of 14 Posts