Nissan Juke Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No don't worry, it won't take 24 hours to read this review. It's a review I've put together after 24 hours of ownership.

Firstly, let me tell you about myself. I'm in my very very late 30s, married with 2 children of 8 and 11 years of age. To date we've always had family cars ranging form mid-size saloons to full on 4x4s including Land Rover Discoveries, Kia Sorentos and most recently a VW 2.0l Jetta Sport saloon.

So it was a big step going to a small car and let me tell you, if it wasn't for the Juke being on the market there isn't a single other small car I would look at yet alone purchase.

Yesterday our Juke arrived after an order we placed mid July. Not bad delivery time really, but we did go for what looks to be one of the most popular models, the 1.6l petrol in Force Red with Premium pack. What a bargain!

I was attracted to not only the Juke's looks but the specs and toys. However a large consideration needed to be fuel economy. Now 24 hours in and both myself and my wife have driven the Juke just under 150 miles in total on a variety of roads and thanks to the British weather, a variety of road conditions (hasn't snowed yet, but who knows).

Driving the Juke and I feel comfortable with the way the Juke reacts to me. I'm driving in NORMAL mode, only briefly trying out ECONOMY and SPORT. Normal just feels right. A perfect balance. I'll be honest on my local roads I've always been one for overtaking anything that goes slow. I live ''out in the sticks" with winding B roads being the norm. But in the Juke that almost aggressive way of driving just disappears. With the Juke there's a sense of pleasure. I'm not in a rush now. I want to spend time in the Juke. I want to play with the toys. And boy, are there some toys!

As an iPhone 4 owner I had read reviews that the iPhone had problems with the Nissan Connect system. Even in the Instruction manual there's reference to an iPhone issue. But I'm pleased to say the phone synced straight away. After a minute or two all my Contacts had synced to the Nissan Connect system, Playlists are easy to refer to and to quote Apple, "it just works". In case you're wondering, I'm running the latest beta of iOS 5 on the iPhone.

Let's look at the room within the cabin. Does it work for a family of four or should it be considered as really only a 2 person carrier?

Well, it works fine with my family. I'm not on the small side myself. I'm over 6ft. I'm on the er, "biggish" side of the fence, my eldest daughter is like a beanpole. Over 5 ft and she's only 11. With my wife and my youngest all in the car, there is plenty of room. I like the ride height. I'm not one for pushing the seat back as far as it can go, so there is ample leg room for rear passengers. In fact I can easily fit in the rear myself. My head does not touch the roof lining and my knees do not dig into the back of the front seat. It's a comfortable position without any compromise. I'll be honest, my head only had an inch to play with, and I think putting 3 adults in the back of a Juke would be pushing it. But the way we lead our life, we just don't ever carry this amount of adults.2 adults or 3 kids in the back? No problem.

Moving onto fuel economy, an aspect we wanted to consider when we purchased our Juke, £47 to fill up from empty. According to the trip computer we're averaging at 42mpg. Mind you it's only got 400 miles on the clock and the car is a day old! I will continue to monitor over the coming weeks and months but I can definitely see an improvement over our 2.0l turbo sport diesel.

In conclusion, I'm really pleased with our Juke. It's a fun and spirited car to drive. It fits my family like a glove. My wife prefers the compactness of the car, I prefer the ride height. It meets both our needs perfectly. Well done Nissan for daring to do something different and finding a gap in the market. I'm looking forward to many years of motoring and fun with our new baby.Edited by: MapleJuke

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Excelent review :D
Glad you are enjoying it and it only gets better :D
42MPG is really good for a engine that hasnt worn in yet.
My Petrol Dig-T gets about 34 around town and about 39 on the motor ways lol

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hi MapleJuke,
I will agree with Megabyte, an excellent review, in fact one of the best so far on these forums. You have covered a lot of things that will be helpful for other prospected buyers of this funky little car (well mid sized at least). I was particularly interested, because we are having the same model as you and also the same colour, which together with the white, think they are the nicest two colours. Your petrol consumption seems quite reasonable, considering what milage you have done so far and it can only get better, once the engine has loosened up a bit.
Well just three more days before we get ours on Sat. I will do a quick report myself after the first few days and again when we come back of holiday, which should put some miles under the bonnet.
Thank you for an excellent first review.

Geoff

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice review. My only real issue when I thought about the Juke was the space in the cabin. I had watched a video review wher the guy complained that his head was touching the roof (and he was under 6 foot). I am 6'2" and was surpised when I tried it out because in both the front and back I had plenty head room.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I hate media reviews, because they always find fault with any car. They always test the top spec model with the Turbo engine, which doesn't do anything for the majority of buyers who don't want a turbo engine.
Anyone considering a Juke, take note of the reviews on here, because these are from actual owners.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geoff_Juke said:
Hi MapleJuke,
I will agree with Megabyte, an excellent review, in fact one of the best so far on these forums. You have covered a lot of things that will be helpful for other prospected buyers of this funky little car (well mid sized at least). I was particularly interested, because we are having the same model as you and also the same colour, which together with the white, think they are the nicest two colours. Your petrol consumption seems quite reasonable, considering what milage you have done so far and it can only get better, once the engine has loosened up a bit.
Well just three more days before we get ours on Sat. I will do a quick report myself after the first few days and again when we come back of holiday, which should put some miles under the bonnet.
Thank you for an excellent first review.

Geoff
You're welcome and you're going to love it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Surprised at your comments on your previous Diesel 2ltr tdi, my previous car was a 2.2 citdi Honda civic that returned between 54 and 60 mpg cmpare that to very similar mpg I get from my Juke diesel 1.5 with 4k miles, I have driven deisel cars now for the last 15 years and would never ever go back to petrol, I just love the grunt from a deisil engine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rememberdeedog said:
Surprised at your comments on your previous Diesel 2ltr tdi, my previous car was a 2.2 citdi Honda civic that returned between 54 and 60 mpg cmpare that to very similar mpg I get from my Juke diesel 1.5 with 4k miles, I have driven deisel cars now for the last 15 years and would never ever go back to petrol, I just love the grunt from a deisil engine.
??? Didn't make any comment on my previous diesel other than it was my previous car.

It was a good car. Not bad on fuel economy. But not brilliant either. Still it was better than the Disco Series II where I was lucky to get 22mpg out of it.

Ho hum....

·
Registered
370 Posts
You commented on fuel economy, quote'but I can definitely see an improvement over our 2.0l turbo sport diesel'. I always thought VWs where economical,

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh I see. However I think we will see a difference in our fuel consumption, even if it's just a result of a change in driving style. The Juke feels more relaxing. Not in a rush. Not tempted to floor it from the lights even though it looks like an aggressive little bugger.

·
Registered
370 Posts
MapleJuke said:
Oh I see. However I think we will see a difference in our fuel consumption, even if it's just a result of a change in driving style. The Juke feels more relaxing. Not in a rush. Not tempted to floor it from the lights even though it looks like an aggressive little bugger.
Yes I agree, very relaxed, I miss that little bit extra the the civic had a times when caravans and horse boxes trundle along at 40 mph on the A49, with the civic I could overtake 2 or 3 at once but i dont have the confidence yet, no great problem though getting to long in the tooth for risky overtakes, enjoy!! drive safe

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great report MapleJuke, I am exactly the same I am used to driving around in 2 seater convertibles but now my driving style has completely changed now I have my gorgeous Juke I am not in rush anymore and don't want to race around, it's great!!!

DonnaB
XX

1 - 16 of 16 Posts