Nissan Juke Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just a query, given the terrible driving conditions we are experiencing just now and the often stop/start nature of driving in snow. Can anyone tell me if their DPF lights have come on. What have you done to clear it.

I have been panicking about this given I was stuck in nose to tail gridlock for 4 and a half hours yesterday and wouldn't know what to do to clear filter in this weather . That is, other than a forced regeneration at the local dealership which would cost a pretty penny.

You cant career up and down a motorway in this weather to clear it - you'd be lucky to get above 20 MPH

Can anyone help (Incidentally my light HASNT come on - YET)

Fee x

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
fee i have only used mine for 800 miles all local runs and had no issue with light orDPF yet
my last car went for about 2k before ligght came on as for dealer rectification as far as I am concerned its under warranty and down to Nissan to fix if it happens Skoda had mine in last time no problem even though i had already cleared fault

·
Registered
443 Posts
You have a euro step 5 car. So no dpf warning lamp.
Once a euro step 5 starts regeneration .its finishes it regardless of how fast or slow you drive .

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
dont mean to be rude can you explain this for us does that mean we wont have an issues with dpf or we wont know about them except when it goes into limp mode do we have any cause for concern
obviously their is a lot of wording about the DPF would just be nice to know what exactly goes on
thanks

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well decks ,the explanation we gets not that specific.but as the re gen no longer relies on the engine overfueling to provide the heat to burn out the soot. But has its own dedicated heat generator.this allows it to burn the soot with low engine speed .
The oil manager monitors the engine oil quality as this can be effected too on short trips and low speed dpf regen .
I'll know more when the master tec update has been attended .

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've no idea what any of this means, but it worries me

·
Registered
443 Posts
Why worry . It works .I'f you want a diesel and you live in Europe you have to have a dpf.
Edited by: Juke-of-earl

·
Registered
167 Posts
What worries me is I dont know WTF a DPF is!!!!
and last time I heard someone say Regeneration they were talking about Doctor Who

·
Registered
443 Posts
There are lots of things in cars .eg r , BCM ipmd. Etc
It's like magic but as long as it works why worry .
If its not broke don't fix it .
The dpf on Nissan works .

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JukeSkywalker said:
What worries me is I dont know WTF a DPF is!!!!
and last time I heard someone say Regeneration they were talking about Doctor Who
Well - I am not technologically minded but every new Diesel car has a DPF ( Deisel Particulate Filter) which basically is this DPF lowers emissions by burning off soot which is emitted during normal course of driving.

This Regeneration is done usually by the unit itself reaching a certain temperature (VERY HOT!!! - see not very technical) however when driving a diesel at low speeds or town driving - the DPF may NOT reach the required temperature to do this by itself which means a quick drive at high speed/high revs to do this regeneration. Obviously given the weather up here - that is not an option.
There have been hundreds of issues with DPF problems with previous diesel engines of all marques- see an article by the AA on DPF

I was told by the dealer that due to a fifth injector being installed in this unit - this allows the soot to be burnt off at lower temperatures but being a cynic - I was not so sure...

A forced regeneration by the dealership used to result in a £400 bill but many dealers did this as a freebie!!! - I should be so lucky, thats why i want to avoid this issue

Juke of Earl is a Nissan Technician so knows more than most bout all things Nissan - however, I am still a wee bit sceptical....

Help please someone - can anyone post a link to something technical as I am waffling on..

Thanks for your input guys

Fee xEdited by: feefeeglasgow

·
Registered
167 Posts
No thats fine fee, explained a lot - thanks, I'm usually quite good, but just never heard of the DPF before now, thats what you get from driving a string of 5-7 year old cars.

Anyway the most important thing to take from the above is "Drive quick and fast with high rev's", I think I'll be ok on that score. (all with in the speedlimit obviously
)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Fee . The filth injecteor is a bit like a blow torch front of the dpf. That is what's doing the heating for you .

·
Registered
167 Posts
this is also a good video, explains why cars go into limp mode etc - its for nissan trucks, but guess its the same technology

another youtube video

·
Registered
443 Posts
Emission control systems include a diesel particulate filter (DPF), with a fifth injector for regeneration and cooled exhaust gas recirculation while the turbocharger layout altered to make the distance between it and the DPF as short as possible.
so its a little different from the old style DPF's.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The DPF is why i wont buy a Diesel Car, my company car is a Civic 2.2 CDTI without the dreaded PDF, Honda recommends a minimum of 18000 per annum to make diesel worthwhile taking into account price of fuel, extra cost of car and road tax savings - it takes a lot of miles to get the premium back and although the residual value is higher the initial saving compared to a normally aspirated 1.6 is not worth it IMHO.... prepared to be flamed by the DERV heads....

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
each to their own any diesel now on the market has to have a DPF so it looks as if you are stuck with petrol for ever more. mind you I read somewhere a while back the the petrol models have to meet even stricter requirements in the coming years and for that i think the diesels will aswell
we shall all have to wait and see what occurs

·
Registered
443 Posts
Choices of oil burner or petrol also come to how they drive.the diesel plus like a train and don't rev to death like my 1.6 na.in the snow they also have better traction.
I'm sure that the residual for the dci is going to be strong.so swings and roundabouts.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi All,

I got atechnical explanation to clarify the DPF mystery in case anyone still has doubts...

On previous generation Nissan 1.5 dci engines, there was a DPF light - this would illuminate if the enginemanagement systemdetermined that the DPF could be blocking up by sensing exhaust back pressure and the history of your driving style (worst case is slow speed, stop-start). The light would come on telling you to drive the car a 'high' speed for a sustained period to increase the exhaust gas temperature and burn off the soot...

On the Euro 5 version (fittedin your Juke, if you have a diesel of course..), there is no DPF light. The engine management system has OCS (oil condition sensing).. this system determines if it believes the DPF may be at risk of being blocked in much the same way, but to regenerate, it does not require you to drive at higher speed for a sustained period. Instead, it uses 2 strategies..

1. Post-injection of fuel - after the main combustion event (the one that creates your power..) there is a small additional injection of fuel that burns into the exhaust, increasing the gas temperature, burning off the soot..

2. The engine is fitted with a 5th fuel injector in the exhaust that pumps fuel into the DPF to raise the temperature and burn off the soot

Both are done regardless of engine/driving speed and are invisible to the driver.

The side effect of the post-injection is that there can be some dilution to the engine oil during regen, and so multiple regens can degrade the oil quality.

The OCS system constantly estimates the reduction in oil performance and calculates the new service interval required.

So, no need to worry about the DPF again...

Hope you can understand and that this helps...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts